Sometime early November, Khaisah was unwell. It started off with a bad case of flu with cough and phlegm. Hashley and I went to the hospital back and forth for 3 consecutive days to get medical relief and her paeds required that she get a dose of nebulizer. After the third day, the flu and cough just got alarming, then it deteriorated to slight fever and worsened by high fever.
So what actually happened was on one day, I had to take an emergency leave to take care of her as my instinct tells me something was amiss. I tried to breastfeed her after bathing, which was usually the case but she kept on crying for one solid hour, literally non-stop that I got confused. Thought it was time to change her nappy again till I realized that her hands and nails were almost purple and her body heat was just out of normal! Took the thermometer and it read at 38.9 degrees. I panicked of course, quickly changed into my jeans and rushed to the hospital. Thank God for trusting my instinct to take an emergency leave, for if I was late so many things could have happened, nauzubillah.
As we arrived at the hosp, I knew she would be admitted. Babies with temperatures that high? For sure, an admission. Poor baby, she was still crying, refusing to be fed, in pain and hunger, Allah knows how sad it was to see her ailing.
Things just got a little more heartbreaking when the doctor had to put on the drip on her tiny little hand. At that juncture, I can't help it anymore. I cried profusely.
I was really sad. All of us cried - yeap, that includes my husband and my parents. It was just too depressing.
Apparently, Khaisah was diagnosed with bronchiolitis. Bronchiolitis is a common illness of the respiratory tract caused by an infection that affects the tiny airways, ie. the bronchioles, that lead to the lungs. As these airways become inflamed, they swell and fill with mucus, making breathing difficult. The first symptoms of bronchiolitis are usually the same as those of a common cold:
- stuffiness
- runny nose
- mild cough
- mild fever
| Source |
Sometimes more severe respiratory difficulties gradually develop, marked by:
- rapid, shallow breathing
- a rapid heartbeat
- drawing in of the neck and chest with each breath, known as retractions
- flaring of the nostrils
- irritability, with difficulty sleeping and signs of fatigue or lethargy
Furthermore, the child may also have a poor appetite and not feed well or become dehydrated which was the case for Khaisah.
Gradually, she recovered from her flu and cough and her body temperature went back to normal. But having introduced to antibiotics, she started to purge. It appears that purging is normal if antibiotics were given to babies so for the next couple of days, Khaisah was still warded. Until and unless the purging subsides, mummy and daddy will be at the hospital still.
After 6 days and 5 nights at the hospital, Khaisah was still purging although, in smaller quantity but we were given the trust to take care of her so we were discharged. Yes, "we" cause Hashley and I have been camping at the hospital from day 1. Hehe.
So for new parents like us, if you sense that something's coming down with your baby, don't hesitate to call your paediatrician right away. Best if you head straight to the hospital but also, do act reasonably. Babies are delicate and vulnerable. Better be safe than sorry, yes?
I'm glad I trusted my instinct and I rushed to the hospital straight away. I might sound a little paranoid here but in all honesty, I'd rather be paranoid than regretful. Syukur alhamdulillah, Khaisah has recovered. From that incident on, I paid a little extra attention to her surroundings and that includes like basic must-wash-hands-before-you-touch-her-if-you-just-went-out. Haha.
I'm glad I trusted my instinct and I rushed to the hospital straight away. I might sound a little paranoid here but in all honesty, I'd rather be paranoid than regretful. Syukur alhamdulillah, Khaisah has recovered. From that incident on, I paid a little extra attention to her surroundings and that includes like basic must-wash-hands-before-you-touch-her-if-you-just-went-out. Haha.
First time mummy. What to do. Lol.

No comments:
Post a Comment