Tuesday, 31 August 2010

Merdeka, Malaysia.


All these while, we have been celebrating Merdeka as an occasion to go out and hang out with friends or family. We will either be having a barbeque at home or lounging at the Curve, doing practically the same old thing - just enjoying each other's company.

But after having learned the history of the Constitution and the emergence of our independence day in greater depth, i.e. the trials and tribulations that our forefathers fought to achieve what we have today re: "freedom", and after watching 1957 Hati Malaya, I no longer feel that celebrating Merdeka like the abovementioned is appropriate. The substance of celebrating is of greatest importance, not celebrating by its literal meaning. We celebrate to appreciate what these warriors have fought for us.

Maybe I grew out of that or just maybe I'm an old soul inside, but honestly, do you think that that is the best way to celebrate merdeka?

Today, thanks to them and the Prime Ministers that follow suit, we live in this country peacefully, with food to eat, clothes to wear, roof to shelter, roads to move about and so much more. There is hardly any domination, tyranny, subjugation or anything to that effect that restricts our movement and liberty to live. We are forever indebted to these incredible figures.

Imagine being in the shoes of the people who had to go through the periods of 1941 - 1957. The Japan annexation and the British domination. The mass bloodshed and tears that our great grandfathers experienced. I don't think we can ever envision what they were feeling, living in fear and fury.

So this year, I am more proud than ever for being a Malaysian citizen, more grateful to be living in this wonderful country that accepts, and not detest, people of all races, creed and religion. Malaysia is a magnificient place to call home.

Therefore, I'd like to wish Malaysia, happy 53rd birthday. May you be blessed by Allah always and may you thrive to become the best in all that are worth fighting for. Merdeka!

* Forgive me if I may have sounded too serious, I think ageing is slowly catching up on me. Lol.

No comments: