Thursday, 6 August 2009

A Protean of Things.

First and foremost, happy (belated) bday Ya! One more day and you'll be back for us to celebrate (again) together! *kiss kiss*

Secondly, remember once I wrote about
weddings? Last Sunday, I attended my lecturer's wedding at Sheraton Subang with Hash. We were the only students invited to the reception at the hotel being that my lecturer asked me for help to get better rates as I am related to one of the big people from Sheraton. And so I did get him a profoundly better rate (I think?), hence the invite - perhaps out of courtesy or perhaps as a matter of pure appreciation and sincerity. Anyways that's not the story. I'd like to draw your attention now to my two cents worth.

Weddings should be personal, between family, akins and friends; howsoever you define and choose who exactly is 'family, akins and friends'. Some may include relatives that are not closely related but equally close as if he or she is your first immediate family. On the other hand, some may define 'friends' to include best friends, close friends, good friends, friends, colleagues, lecturers and teachers who became good friends, acquaintances, high school friends, primary or even kindy friends. But some others would prolly conclude that 'friends' mean 'real friends' and that leads me to the issue here is whether we must invite every single human being that we know. If you'd ask me about 5 years ago, I'd probably say 'yes' to that question, but if you were to ask me at this instance, the answer is 'nope, that's right, no.' The rule of thumb is, invite those whom you feel are sufficiently sincere and worthy of your invitation. One should not invite just about any Peter and Jane.

Islam preaches moderation, therefore, shouldn't we all live by it? There's absolutely nothing wrong in organizing a huge grande wedding but please do ensure that the 'accessories' of the weddings go in moderation too. For instance, do you really need plenty cultural dances or band singing to different genres of music session after session? The answer would be a matter of own's preference though. However, I beg to differ. My answer would be 'nay', one dance is enough, no need concert-like wedding. You waste people's time, seriously.

When you have VVIPs, it is impossible to evade from a giant dutiful word - 'Protocol' and in my (in)significant view, I do not disagree on that. We pay our utmost respect to them, but respect earned must be respect given. Therefore, my humble request is please do not come fashionably (and painfully) late? Not only you make us, the early birds and punctual guests to starve, but also make us cringe as the next day is the least favourable day of the week. I suggest that the committee in charge be extra careful on this - chehh silap silap sendiri buat macam ni kat orang nanti. Nauzubillah.

I apologize if I may have spoken up more than I should but these points are reminders for me for my own wedding (someday hehe). I wouldn't want my guests to starve, cringe or be unappreciative of what I have to offer. Saya nak wedding saya semua orang gembira, pendek dan sangat manis aka joyfully short and super sweet. Hehe.

2 comments:

Private Company said...

saya setuju za. ;-)

Starry Eyed said...

totally agree. ive heard somewhere i cant remember - "invite only the nearest and dearest". ;)