Monday, 1 June 2009

Goodnight and Goodbye.

Jaya, Section 14, PJ. Drop dead into dust. The picture was taken a couple of hours back from Digital Mall's toilet window.

I was on my way home from work when I received a text from Dot saying that Jaya collapsed. There I was in confusion, thinking that perhaps it's only a joke, perhaps a mere forwarded text but as I was 5 minutes away, being the kiasu woman that I suddenly became of (hoho) I passed by and saw the chaotic place with a number of rescue teams such as the fire engine, the rescuers, the ambulance and of course the police force. Shocking alright. This ain't a joke. Such an eerie feeling to have seen what I have seen as I couldn't believe what I read the last few minute but to digest that that really happened was not difficult to fathom. It's only because Jaya is under a demolition progress but it's progress could not take place in the way that the usuals did, which is to demolish at one go. Since the blue building is closely surrounded by housing areas and shoplots, the progress had to be taken in gradual stages. Be that as it may, this was clearly an unforeseen situation, too remote to be foreseen actually. Who's to be blamed? I guess, ajal bangunan ni dah sampai kot. Siannn.

When the incident occurred, there were 30 construction workers were on site and as at today, the death toll has reached 7, and mostly Indonesians. Siannyaa.. datang jauh jauh cari rezeki and this is what happens to them. Ajal kan? Sian sangatt. Luckily the residents and visitors to the area were unharmed, although the people around including Digital Mall felt the tremors when the building decided to cave in.

Jaya Section 14 is a significant place where my childhood school friends and I grew up, where my mom goes to get her errands done, where we bought most of the daily needs for home and school, where we went to hang out and what nots. It's such a nostalgic structure for me, at least to my own personal memories.

Sigh. So long Jaya. You are in our thoughts :(

2 comments:

Dydee Alwi said...

omg! apparently i haven't been updated enough to know that this happened. When jaya closed down for reconstruction, it left a tinge of sadness in me because of all the memories..years and years shopping, hanging out, and all that..

too bad it went out in such a bad fashion. 7 deaths?

Zaznuriah said...

yeap 7 deaths dee! sad kan!