Thursday, 18 December 2008

WUPID 2008.

Yesterday night I attended the World Universities Peace Invitational Debate 2008 Final Rounds (WUPID) sponsored by CIMB Group and organized by H&G Strategic Communications Sdn Bhd & World Debate Association (I think that's what it's called. I've been trying to search for the precise name). It was held at the KL Convention Centre - 30 universities from 18 countries from all over the world participated including debaters from Sydney U, Monash U, Harvard, Ataneo De Manila from Philippines, Vermont, many more and not forgetting, Universiti Teknologi MARA! Woot woot! Hehe. UiTM made it into semi-finals (Congrats Zharif!) beating all other universities in Malaysia (haha). It was my first time watching this type of debate and I find it rather intriguingly exciting, a platform for future leaders of tomorrow to meet up and exchange our knowledge and expand our horizons.

There were four teams that made it to the finals - Sydney U and Ataneo De Manila for the Opposition and Vermont and Monash U for the Government. The speakers were allowed to speak for 7 minutes and after the second bell of the 7th minute, the speakers are to zip it. Hehe. The speakers were equally good, but I must admit that the speakers from Philippines really did their research and they can speak real quick with no full stops or comas for seven friggin minutes, as if in one breath! Hehe.

But my personal preference were the speakers from the Monash University. They were good, they speak clearly. Witty and knowledgeable, not forgetting, cute too (coughs hehe), they got my 100% attention. Bahh. Hehe. To my excitement, Monash U debaters pulled it off! They won the debate! :) Making Sydney U as the first runner up, Vermont as second and Ataneo as the third.

His Royal Highness Crown Prince of Perak YTM Raja Dr. Nazrin Shah and consort Her Royal Highness Tuanku Zara Salim were the guest of honour.

And my dearest Uncle Dale, or famously known as Dato' Mahathir Lokman as the renowned emcee of the night.

* This event made me realized that debate is so much different from mooting. It reminded me of my days in uni mooting for International Humanitarian Law :)

Please envy my pictures below. Teehee.

HRH
Winning Team from Monash University, Australia
With two of the adjudicators from the UK
Hashley and I
Mum and Aunty Zam
Titi and Lina (Faisal m.i.a?)
I just like this picture because I wasn't looking. Haha.
Ok bye!
***

On the other note, alhamdullillah, my brother's out from the hospital :) Thanks everyone for your concern and well prayers.

No comments: