Saturday, 27 October 2012

Gastronomic Birthday Trip.

When you hear the word "gastronomic", what's the first thing that comes to your mind?

As for me, that word is synonymous with "Penang".

Yeap, that was my birthday pressie from my husband. He treated me not only over ONE meal but SO MANY meals that I really liked, particularly Gurney Drive's asam laksa, chinese apom, Kapitan's super delish garlic cheese naan (super delish is such an understatement!) etc. No need fine dining to make me happy lah lol.

The initial plan was just us three to stay over at Hard Rock Hotel. We had made a reservation much earlier only to find that that plan had to be cancelled due to some financial constraints at that point of time. I was quite down about cancelling the trip. Little did we know luck and rezeki were just around the corner. When telling my best friend, Nunu and her hubby, Arshad that the trip was a fall out, she abruptly offered a road trip and stay over at her sister in law's apartment at Feringghi. We thought, why not kan?  Free accomodation for 3 days 2 nights. Rezeki datang jangan ignore hehe. We invited Mel and Haikal as well (there were 3 rooms in the apartment) and left on 28th September.

We decided to take the ferry to Penang Island - to give Khaisah her first exposure to ferry rides. But the "kid" in us yang lebih excited please hahaha. No lah.. we were excited to see how she reacted to ferry rides actually.





Our gastronomic trip begin as soon as we arrived. First stop was at Nasi Kandar Beratur for lunch and after a mighty high colestrol meal, we headed to the apartment to rest for a bit. Then all other meals kept coming in. You name it, we went to Gurney Drive and ate almost everything hahaha. Went to Chow Rasta for cendol and bought jeruk etc for our families back home. We even stopped by Straits Quay.







What was truly different about this trip was that out of the countless times I've been to Penang, I have never stepped foot at Bukit Bendera, well not that I can remember of. Thankfully I've got a bunch of sporting people who have the same interest so we went up the Hill. I must say that it was a worthwhile experience. The State Government did a good job in ensuring that the place was tourist-worthy cause I truly felt like I was a tourist and I must applaud the authorities for placing importance on cleanliness. For a public place in Malaysia, it was squeaky clean! Well done!

There are things that you can do at the peak. You can dine, visit the Owl Museum (don't be deceived though, there wasn't any owl around but merely pictures of them with facts explaining about owls), can visit the temple (no thanks, apparently banyak snakes kbye) or simply enjoy the scenic view of Penang from top. For RM7 per entry, quite puas lah us.









Another thing that I discovered and liked about Penang is that it tries its best to maintain the eco-friendly system. You may find that they don't use plastics most of the time and they use recycled materials for paper plates etc. Selangor State Government should implement this asap.

The last day took us to the beach and pool for a lil swim, well more like the men and Khaisah went swimming and the lazy ladies in us just took the betterment of us. Hahaha.


Special thanks to Nunu and Acad for the hospitality and most importantly, to Hubs for this awesome birthday trip. More birthday trips to come, insya Allah? Perhaps Eurotrip next time? Hahaha. Love you long time.

No comments: