Monday, 8 December 2008

One of the a fews.

A thing I dislike and perhaps, reason(s) why.

Arab scarves.
Also known as 'Keffiyah', yes they are fashionable, stylish and the in-thing right now but seriously, have you ever thought of the history and reasons how it came into about? Come on, stop being ignorant. In my should-be-taken into account justification of disapproving the wearings of this scarf is simple. It's a political symbol, not some fashion wannabe get-ups or iconic accessory. Its primary purpose (dating back to the 1930s during the Arab volt in Palestine) was to provide protection from direct sun exposure, as well as for occasional use in protecting the mouth and eyes from blown dust and sand in the Saudi territories. Apart from that it was (and maybe still is) a political symbol. It was a symbol of Palestinian nationalism or in a different view, it was a symbol of Islamic militancy. The Palestinian people consider this their flag. It is about pride and class struggle and nothing else. In 2007, the wearings of these Arab scarves were taken as a controversial symbol for one two many reasons I wish I had the might to write up on that but hey, google it up. You might find yourself intrigued by what you will read.

For these reasons above, although I find that the scarves are stunningly gorgeous, I have never ever bought any of it and will certainly not wear it as a fashion accessory simply because I pay my utmost respect to those who truly know the underlying meaning and reasoning of the existence of them scarves. However, these are just my belief and preference. Should you wish to wear, by all means, go ahead but wear it for the right reasons. Oh well come on, there's more to life than just fashion.

2 comments:

iezu said...

i guess some ppl wears the keffiyeh as a sign of support towards Palestinian independence struggle. but of course most wear it just because it's a chic accessory..

A|long said...

saye setujuuuuu 100% zaza..hehehehe